Re: Scaffold sessions - making progress

Hi John,

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 04:18, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> I didn't see this go through so I am resending it.
>
> Ok, I have it saving out and loading the document-manager sessions (it
> loads the documents you had loaded last time).  Project sessions still
> don't seem to work but I should be able to fix that soon.  The big
> question is when should sessions be saved.  I have it saving on exit but
> perhaps they should be saved at other intervals?  This way a session is
> saved even if a Scaffold crashes.  When would be a good time to save a
> session for this purpose?  Would this create too much overhead?  It
> might be cool to save the session along with autosave of source so if
> the option is checked the session gets saved at the same interval.

Cool stuff! About saving before exit: i don't think having scaffold
crash is a good argument for doing it that way. Instead, scaffold should
be fixed so it doesn't crash :)

But seriously, all the IDEs i know/have worked with either don't save
any session info, or save it on exit. So i think saving exit isn't
really necessary. What we could have is an explicit menuitem somewhere
that saves the session for you (i recall seeing this in some browsers).

HTH,

Jeroen