Re: IDLs defined?

El 02 Feb 2001 15:29:15 +0900, Masatake YAMATO escribió:
> > Hello, only one question: Is there any IDL defined to do a development
> > tool like kdevelop?
> >
> > I mean a defined interface to make glade && GtkTrace && gvd like
> > applications work all as the Evolution's components does.
>
> Very interesting.
> What kind of components glue mechanism does Evolution provide?
> I believe an IDE should provide minimum functions but maximum
> glue mechanism. Emacs? it is an exception:-P

Well, you will have a "Shell" component and this is the program you
launch to use the development tool. This shell will make the "glue" to
all the components, for example it could call methods to every component
to generate the code source you are editing (you could generate a glade
interface and when you generate your source code also you notify the
shell about the changes, then it take this source changes and notify the
editor about the changes and the editor applies to your current view.

> As a developer of GtkTrace, I want a follow mechanism to
> an IDE:
>
> * Insert GtkTrace enable flags to Makefile
> * Remove GtkTrace enable flags to Makefile
> * Run target

If you registrate GtkTrace in the development tools the "Shell" could
call your methods to get your Makefile modifications.

> If the window of GtkTrace is packed into the IDE window, it is cool
> but it is not necessary. Could an IDE provide above mechanism if
> we define the IDL?

Yes, it could

> How about glade and gvd?
> How do you think, IDE authors?
>
> Masatake YAMATO

The best thing is that you could do new components and without recompile
your source it could be added to the building components.

> p.s. A developer who need the tool glue mechanism is busy for his/her own
> product. Therefore none can develope complete tool glue mechanism
> now.

I could, I need it at work (also at home, but I have very free time ;-)
).