gIDE project problem

First, let me apologize for my constant pestering.

I've now run gIDE on two machines and I'm having problems with both of them.
"make install" runs without errors on both.

The first machine looks like it comes up correctly.  I see a lot of good
"DEBUG:" and "Installing Tool:" lines.  Only two unimportant warning messages:
Bonobo-WARNING **: Could not open help topics file NULL for app gide
Bonobo-WARNING **: Syntax error in ''

The problem is when I start using the system:

do File|Open and load hello.c, the Project|Add Source:
** CRITICAL **: file gbf-project-client.c: line 304
(gbf_project_client_get_project_root): assertion `prj != NULL' failed.

do Project|New Project:
** CRITICAL **: file project-tool.c: line 162 (project_new): assertion
`GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed.

Nothing related to the project works.

Any suggestions?

(The second machine is worse; no Scintella project or debug views.)

-Ed