Re: [Gnome-devtools] What we're doing.

Andrew Sutton wrote:

> eh... dialog interaction. ugh... that wouldn't fly well. unless my
> understanding is way off, configuration management is the term given to
> the configuration of the development environment. it fits nicely under
> the "project management" subheading. i think the capabilities i was
> describing earlier would be perfectly managed as a menu option. that way
> there's less interaction with the the process since users - especially
> people just concerned with writing code - probably won't need to see
> that stuff. however, it should be there for larger more managed
> (structured?) projects.

That sounds fine, as long as it's non-intrusive as a default.

> i'm not sure what the document parsing stuff is?

Parsing is part of compiler theory, it quite a big subject, so I won't
describe it detail here. Basically it allows you look a program in terms
of it's high-level structure rather than just a character stream. For
example, in C the top level structure would be functions, and
declarations. Inside the functions would be a statement list, and inside
the statements are expresions and so on... This would all be represented
in a tree structure.

> i do like the code->UML
> and UML->code idea. that's a very pricey option on the rational rose
> stuff, especially the syncronization :) it's really sweet when it works.

That should have a lot of uses, I think the first area I would look at
once gpf is working is reading GObject class heirarhcies into UML. I
think this would really help new developers coming into a project in
understanding the structure, and also help in writing new classes (i.e.
going from UML -> code). Of course this is very far away, I must stop
writing e-mails and get back to work on this project. :) Volunteers are
welcome. ;)

Mark