Re: [Gnome-devtools] What we're doing.

> Ok, that helps a lot. I don't see myself using this exact process, but
> maybe this makes sense for very large projects, managing many people.
>

> > that's the process at a real high level. it's your standard engineering
> > waterfall model. of course, as dave camp will point out (hehe) this
> > isn't applicable for every project. i'm starting to throw together some
> > ideas for a really flexible process. then developers can pick and choose
> > the development steps. it's just taking me along time cause it's sooo
> > boring to write...
>
> So you mean the development environment would dictate the steps to take?
> I'm not sure that would work for me :) Perhaps a process mode could be
> turned on and off in the development environment. Anyway this is more
> related to an IDE, where your process management tool would control the
> flow of interaction with components. I think it would be better to first
> define the components used by the process tool, and make sure they fit
> into the larger framework. Or at least have a good idea of what is
> required of the development framework for the components to be
> integrated. I would go for the latter, because the tools you describe
> would take a monumental effort to design and implement, and I don't
> think this should hold up development in other areas.

as pointed out, hackers aren't software engineers, and don't necissarily
see the process, just the code.

what i'm trying to get at is an environment that hides the process. a
short example.

i want to write an application for mathematical modelling (god knows why
- i'm not that good at math). for some ungodly reason, i have all the
capabilities and requirements in my head, but decide to put down a class
diagram in our envisioned ide's design tools. the ide would recognize
that i am participating in that phase of the design process and present
me with options to do more design oriented tasks (like design doc
generation). i might not need them, i just want to go write the code.
the ide recognizes the participation there and presents me with options
for coding (editor, builder, etc.).

without actually sitting down to think about the process, the ide has
provided tools for the transition between steps, and presented me with
options to delve further into the process, producing more documentation,
and possibly other process related stuff - it's late and i'm a little
unfocused right now :)

but you're right. i don't like to think about software engineering every
time i sit down to hack somthing out. so... there's that thought.

how much is that worth ($$)?

Andrew Sutton
asutton21 home com