Re: GNOME "Save as" dialog - defective by design

Dnia 28-03-2007, śro o godzinie 10:50 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi napisał(a):
> > There should be no such thing as "Save as..." dialog.
> this is questionable at best.

Please do question it.
It's what discussions are for. :-)

> > Users expect all the file manager functionality from the dialog, so
> no, "users" don't expect this. and nautilus is a file *manager*, that is
> an application to move, copy and generally view the file system; at
> best, it could replace an *open* dialog.

Oh yes, they do.
Don't you want to be able to create a directory to place the file you're
saving in? Or rename/or move away a file to make place for the file
you're saving? Most users do want at least these two functionalities.
And they want it to behave the same way as in their file manager.

And when these works, they expect all the other functionality of file
manager to be there. "It looks like Nautilus, it works like Nautilus,
but copying is broken... Why?"

> > We have it all coded in Nautilus, so why cannot we just use it?
> well, because nautilus is way above the stack and gtk+ is way below it?

This doesn't prevent the dialog to show GNOME mime icons in it.
We could use the same technique. When there is Nautilus running - use
it. If not, provide user with a bare plain GTK+ dialog.

> > There should be a "save as" mode in Nautilus.
> and pray tell, what would such "save as" mode look like?

Same as "navigational" mode, with added name field and "Save" button.

> I have a better idea than executing an external command that works only
> on GNOME:

Is this gnome-devel-list? :-)

--
Tomasz Sterna