Re: [maybe-OT] GNOME/FC3 on 64-bit Athlon 64
- From: Jean Bréfort <jean brefort normalesup org>
- To: Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>
- Cc: gnome-devel-list gnome org, gnome-list gnome org, Manuel Amador <rudd-o amautacorp com>
- Subject: Re: [maybe-OT] GNOME/FC3 on 64-bit Athlon 64
- Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:27:33 +0100
Le vendredi 14 janvier 2005 �1:04 +0100, Alexander Larsson a �it :
> On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 12:31 -0500, Manuel Amador wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > Well, it's been a long time since I've posted anything to these lists.
> > Excuse me for the cross-posting, please.
> > Has anyone noticed the memory usage of GNOME applications under 64-bit
> > Athlon 64? I'm using Fedora Core 3, and I am seeing 260MB VIRT and 70MB
> > RSS memory footprints on e.g. Evo and Nautilus.
> Compiling for 64bit means doubling the size of all pointers. This is
> likely to use a lot more memory. You might want to try running a 32bit
> binary of the applications to see if this explains the memory use
I just made a test on two machines running gentoo linux. One is a
Pentium4 and the other an Amd64. On the Pentium4, nautilus uses 30,9 MB
and on the AMD64 112,7 MB which is more near four times the memory used
with the Pentium4 than 2.
The same is true for other apps:
gnome-system-monitor 21.5 MB 112.0 MB
gnome-session 17.1 MB 85.7 MB
and so on...
] [Thread Prev