Destroying gnome request dialog from callback

I'm using the ImageMagick import command to save an image to a file (a png file, for example). I'm using a gnome request dialog to ask for the filename. In the callback I'd like to destroy the gnome request dialog before I issue the import command so that the request dialog doesn't have to be moved off the window I'm saving. I've tried several commands: gtk_widget_destroy(dialog), gtk_object_destroy(GTK_OBJECT(dialog)), and gnome_dialog_close(GNOME_DIALOG(dialog)). The save succeeds but finishes before the request dialog is destroyed so that the dialog window is saved on top of the image. I get the following when using gtk_widget_destroy(dialog):

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid class type `gboolean' in cast to `GnomeDialog'

GnomeUI-CRITICAL **: file gnome-dialog.c: line 1101 (gnome_dialog_close): assertion `GNOME_IS_DIALOG(dialog)' failed.

Is it possible to close the request dialog before the callback finishes?

Thanks.