Re: new file selector dialog?

On Sun, 2002-03-10 at 02:34, Pawel Salek wrote:
> On 2002.03.08 16:32 Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > If GNOME doesn't deal with idiots, it'll never make it in the home or
> > the true corporate desktop.  Sad fact, but I've found it to be true.
>
> The question is: do I care whether GNOME is used by idiots?
>
> my answer is: no. GNOME used by intelligent people only is OK with me.
>
> I want GNOME to be usable. I do not want GNOME to be dumbed down
> following directions of one person who claims to know idiots (no
> offence meant).

I had this same argument over Linux before. The guy I argued with didn't
want effort put into making Linux easy or well received - he didn't want
big corporations trying to "dumb Linux down" for the common people.  He
didn't want idiots "polluting" his OS.

Of course, we were having the argument on a public list hosted by Intel
over drivers provided by Intel, for a subsystem Linux will require to
operate on 90% of new PC's within a couple years (the ACPI subsystem).
Intel only bothered with Linux because it *is* popular with more than
just the extreme hackers; why else would they sink time and money into
it?

Ximian knows what it's doing - the Ximian GNOME packages have some nice
UI tweaks that make the whole desktop much more user friendly.  Stock
GNOME is horrible, and I tend to get really frustrated with it at times
when I come home and have to use it (Debian Sid, no Ximian for me).  We
something as simple as their file selector can't be rolled back into
GNOME baffles the hell out of me.

Maybe, with GNOME 2.0 (or, more likely, 2.2+) plus Ximian's
intelligence, GNOME will be a contendor for the corporate desktop.  I
just hope more installation of Linux/UNIX come with Ximian GNOME than
stock GNOME in the future, so people don't get that bad "first look" at
GNOME.