Re: Canvas unicode font issue in redhat8.0

Bruno Coudoin <bcoudoin anfora fr> writes:

> > To: gnome-devel-list gnome org
> > Subject: Re: Canvas unicode font issue in redhat8.0
> > From: Ole Laursen <olau hardworking dk>
> > Date: 27 Dec 2002 15:23:13 +0100
> >
> > Bruno Coudoin <bcoudoin anfora fr> writes:
> >
> > > I just ported gcompris to gnome 2.
> > > It works fine on Mandrake 9.0 but when I compile it on redhat 8.0, the
> > > fonts in the gnome canvas are not displayed correctly, all accents are
> > > displayed as 2 chars instead of the proper one.
> >
> > Sounds like you have messed up the string encodings. Try running the
> > command "locale" on both systems.

[...]

> On the RedHat locale gives:
> locale
> LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8

[...]

> I don't have the mandrake on hand now to test.
>
> for the bind-text_domain, this is what I am doing and it works fine on
> Mandrake. Why not on RedHat :(

My theory was that the difference is that you don't use a UTF-8 locale
on Mandrake. If you get the strings _solely_ through gettext with
bind_textdomain_codeset, they ought to be UTF-8 either way, though.

Can you reproduce the problem with a small compilable example that we
could have a look at? Something like:

  int main(int argc, char *argv[])
  {
    GtkWidget *window;
    GtkWidget *label;

    bind_textdomain_codeset("test", "UTF-8");
    textdomain("test");

    gtk_init (&argc, &argv);

    label = gtk_label_new (gettext("Hello World"));

    gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (window), label);
    gtk_widget_show (label);

    gtk_widget_show (window);
    gtk_main ();
  }