Re: Canvas unicode font issue in redhat8.0

> Ole Writes :
>
> My theory was that the difference is that you don't use a UTF-8 locale
> on Mandrake. If you get the strings _solely_ through gettext with
> bind_textdomain_codeset, they ought to be UTF-8 either way, though.
>
> Can you reproduce the problem with a small compilable example that we
> could have a look at? Something like:
>
>   int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>   {
>     GtkWidget *window;
>     GtkWidget *label;
>
>     bind_textdomain_codeset("test", "UTF-8");
>     textdomain("test");
>
>     gtk_init (&argc, &argv);
>
>     window = gtk_window_new (GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
>     label = gtk_label_new (gettext("Hello World"));
>
>     gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (window), label);
>     gtk_widget_show (label);
>
>     gtk_widget_show (window);
>     gtk_main ();
>   }

OK thanks, it becomes clearer now.
If I insert a UTF-8 string in my code it is displayed properly
(as in gnome-hello).

The problem comes from the translated strings.

I am using xmli18n to merge po files and xml files.
What happen is that the resulting after the merge is wrong (I believe).
In my xml file, I get for example the code sequence C3 83 C2 A9 for the é
(French e accent) where it should be C3 A9.

I have installed intltool 0.23 :
intltool-0.23.0.200212051856-0.snap.ximian.1.i386.rpm

But it does not change anything.

I also tested to put my fr.po file in ISO-8859-1 or in UTF-8
before the intltool-merge but still does not change.

Any idea ?

Bruno.