Re: Canvas unicode font issue in redhat8.0

> To: gnome-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Canvas unicode font issue in redhat8.0
> From: Ole Laursen <olau hardworking dk>
> Date: 27 Dec 2002 15:23:13 +0100
>
> Bruno Coudoin <bcoudoin anfora fr> writes:
>
> > I just ported gcompris to gnome 2.
> > It works fine on Mandrake 9.0 but when I compile it on redhat 8.0, the
> > fonts in the gnome canvas are not displayed correctly, all accents are
> > displayed as 2 chars instead of the proper one.
>
> Sounds like you have messed up the string encodings. Try running the
> command "locale" on both systems.
>
> GTK+ wants the strings in UTF-8 encoding. So if you are using gettext,
> you need something like this upon startup:
>
>   int main(...)
>   {
>     // ...
>
>     bindtextdomain(GETTEXT_PACKAGE, GNOMELOCALEDIR);
>     bind_textdomain_codeset(GETTEXT_PACKAGE, "UTF-8");
>     textdomain(GETTEXT_PACKAGE);
>
>     // ...
>   }
>
> Does this help?

No it does not
On the RedHat locale gives:
locale
LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I don't have the mandrake on hand now to test.

for the bind-text_domain, this is what I am doing and it works fine on
Mandrake. Why not on RedHat :(

Bruno.