Re: gnome-libs man pages.

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 01:58:52AM -0400, Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:
> La plume légère, à Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 09:54:32AM +0800, heure d'inpiration,
> Ian McKellar écrivait en ces mots:
> >
> > FrameMaker+SGML, however if you don't have several thousand dollars this
> > might not be an option :-(
>
> FrameMaker is *not* a software for which you have the freedom to
> modify, adapt, fix bug neither distribute (for a fee of for free) or learn
> from. Hence it is not a free program and is definitely NOT an option.

I agree that it is not an option. However it does implement a solution to
the problem - all we need is a Free Software solution.

> > SGML can be converted to HTML on the fly. Also its impossible to search HTML
> > intelligently.
>
> HTML is actually a subset of SGML. (same for DocBook)

Technically they're Applications of SGML.

> But please, stop advertising for proprietary software on this list.
> Advertising free software helps build a better world, advertising proprietary
> ones helps build an aleniated world.

You won't find many more passionate advocates of Free Software than me.
However there is currently no Free equivalent of FrameMaker+SGML - I don't
think we should be using it - I think we should be writing a piece of
Free Software that does what FM+S does for SGML authoring - and I think we
can do it better.

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar |    Email: yakk(a)yakk.net |    Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Area: +61 (8) | Home: 9389 9152 | Fax/Voice: 9260 2903 | Work: 9384 4700