Re: gnome-libs man pages.

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 12:20:53PM -0700, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> -> > If CodeCommander is free software, it would probably be better to
> -> > adapt it to use the GNU Info documentation, which is superior in
> -> > functionality.
> ->
> -> But totally obsolete. Use DocBook.
>
> 	Unfortunately, there aren't any easy-to-use, GUI-like DocBook
> creation tools available (that I'm aware of).

FrameMaker+SGML, however if you don't have several thousand dollars this
might not be an option :-(

> The author needs to know
> the tags, when and where to use them, and all the issues around SGML (or
> now, XML) document creation.

I hear Emacs is a really good SGML editor too, but it isn't WYSIWYG.

> 	Furthermore, most programs (like Code/Warrior/Crusader/etc.) do
> not have any support for displaying SGML, let alone searching it
> intelligently.  So all the docs need to be converted to HTML before
> they're really usable in an app anyhow.

SGML can be converted to HTML on the fly. Also its impossible to search HTML
intelligently.

> 	It would be nice if there were something like Netscape Composer
> that produced immediate visual results, along with a selectable library of
> tags to choose from...

FrameMaker+SGML

I really want a Free Software solution to this problem too - probably
based around XML and XSL. I don't have time to write it right now, but
it would be /really/ cool. Perhaps some of Ankh's GLayout stuff can be
used here.

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar |    Email: yakk(a)yakk.net |    Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Area: +61 (8) | Home: 9389 9152 | Fax/Voice: 9260 2903 | Work: 9384 4700