Re: Re2: Some general facts about panel ...- Gnome Pager

Anders Carlsson wrote:

> Hassan Aurag wrote:
> >
> >  Ok,
> >
> >  I agree Gnome needs a real Pager instead of the present
> > tasklist-deskguide-gnome panel
> >
> >  Here is a suggestion. Btw, I could write the frameboxes (in python)
> > if someone wants to write the screen-shooting part. So I hope we are
> > not just talking vaporware.
> >
> >  The Gnome Pager applet:
> >
> >         -Two parts: one left-side and one right-side.
> >
> >         -The left side is a scrollable GnomeCanvas with a screen-shot of all
> > desktops with their running apps:
> >                 -GnomeCanvas because it has graphics and picture in it.
> >                 -Scrollable to avoid huge pagers.
> >                 -Horizontal and vertical scrolling. Easy with
> >                 GtkScrolledWindow()
> >
> >         -The right side: an E-like icon-box
> >                 -Again a horizontally scrollable one row, multi-
> >                 columns GtkTable, with each slot containing one icon for
> >                 each minimized app.
> >
> >         -A small arrow-headed button like in present gnome-pager to allow
> >          you to jump to different desktops.
> >
> >  Now, who can write this thing?
> >

> No one.
>
> To be able to display small screenshots of running apps, you need direct
> integration with the window manager, to be albe to know when a window
> minimizes, moves, resizes etc. And it's very difficult to get a
> screenshot from a program that's iconified.

I am not in any way an expert in X programming so excuse the stupid
question but....

How does desk-guide and tasklist get the icon status, movement, window
sizes,  etc. when it is not part of the window manager? Deskguide shows
the size and location somehow. I would assume that because deskguide and
tasklist both know when a window is iconified then a graphic pager could
also know the same information and know better than to snapshot an
inconified window. If a snapshot type icon were desired, why couldn't it
use the last known snapshot of the newly iconfied window?

Please explain.

> If you want an eye-candy pager/icon-box, use enlightenment or propose to
> the wm-spec people about a way to see if a window is
> moved/resized/iconified.

Sorry, I want my candy and sawmill too, thanks anyway. I can live
without the eye candy if having the eye candy means I have to live with
overlayed panels and duplicated functionality when running
Enlightenment.

--
---
Dave Lounsberry