Re: Some general facts about panel and gnome

On 1/14/00, 3:05:19 PM, Chris Jones <chris@black-sun.co.uk> wrote
regarding Re: Some general facts about panel and gnome:

> Hi

> Hassan Aurag <aurag@crm.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> >
> >  Then ditch Enlightenment!
> >  That has always been my position.

> Why can't the GNOME project take a windowmanager-agnostic position?
Give
> people a list of the ones that work and are compliant and then let
them
> choose rather than specifically recommending one.

 This is not even an issue afaik. But we need to make sure one window
manager will always be compliant. E (my favorite wm btw) is not fully!

 So the thing is not to impose a window manager but rather to have one
for sure! Of course, any other window managers can comply if they
wish!

 Say, what if all window managers started not to comply with gnome? So
we have a nice panel but no WM????

 No we need one fully-compliant wm and make sure it stays that way!

> >  Even though I still prefer Enlightenment over Sawmill (for Fx
reasons),
> > I say ditch them if they are not going to be 100% gnome compatible!

> I don't think that either Raster or Mandrake have said that they don't
> intend to remain compliant with the GNOME WM spec - they put quite a
bit of
> effort into 0.16 to make it KDE compliant too.

 Good then, but they are not compliant. I can see it on my desktop.
But maybe it's Gnome and not E. I don't know or care. I just want to
have for sure a fully-compliant window manager for gnome that I can
use! I want to use Gnome as desktop!

> Personally, I have no desire to use anything other than Enlightenment
unless

 Neither do I! So these little compliance problems should disappear!
 I will personnally start submitting bug reports to E and Gnome about
all those little weird things!

> the others get a lot better, so I would be fairly annoyed if GNOME 2
> demanded sawmill as a dependancy. I would be similarly annoyed if E
wasn't
> compliant though.

 That isn't even an issue for me. I don't another KDE, I want Gnome!
But I want to make sure we have ONE FULLY COMPLIANT WINDOW MANAGER
AVAILABLE!