Re: Some general facts about panel and gnome

Wolfgang Sourdeau <wolfgang@ultim.net> writes:
> I've been wondering if someone was considering making file types
> application independent and extension independent such as on MacOS,
> which means adding metafile information about mime-type, but having the
> creator application to set it and not guessing it by the extension. And
> then associating the document with the application which created it.

We are doing this; gnome-libs 1.0 actually has a way for apps to set
this info, but it looks like we're dropping that and replacing it with
something that will come from Nautilus; of course the API will need to
be in gnome-libs for apps to set the file type metadata.

Havoc