Re: [gnome-db] Are there API breaks?

On 18 January 2013 04:25, Daniel Espinosa <esodan gmail com> wrote:

2013/1/17 Vivien Malerba <vmalerba gmail com>

On 17 January 2013 16:26, Daniel Espinosa <esodan gmail com> wrote:
I'm updating libgda Vala bindings, by autogeneration of libgda-5.0.vapi.

I've found that:

gda_server_provider_get_data_handler_default()
gda_server_provider_get_data_handler_find()
gda_select_alter_select_for_empty()

have been removed from vapi, but I don't find why because don't find evidence of them in git log.

Last time I've updated this file was 2012-11-02 22:14:52 (GMT):

http://git.gnome.org/browse/libgda/commit/libgda/libgda-5.0.vapi?id=53c9ae5d9a889b610cecd604c9ae077f0c93c732

In theory this change must not be present.

I just want to know if that functions were present in 5.x series and when that functions were removed in order to know if there is an API break in 5.x series.

Hi Daniel!

I've removed these symbols from the list of symbols available using introspection because they are used internally by Libgda's providers' implementations and are not needed (should not be used) when using Libgda's "normal" API. See the  http://git.gnome.org/browse/libgda/commit/?id=1a3f97074d8e8b6165e143c94fc9b2534146dc68 commit (I've added some "skip" notations for these symbols).

I think this breaks API because this functions are just deprecated and now are removed from bindings, making some one to compiler errors for undefined symbols. In order to get VALA bindings API compatible along 5.x series is necessary to add annotations, as made, to mark functions deprecation, they will trigger Vala compiler warnings; but avoid to (skip) them.

Please note that these symbols are still present anyway in the DLL.

I think libgda must start to use

G_GNUC_DEPRECATED

and

G_GNUC_DEPRECATED_FOR

from GLIb, in order to set this attributes at compile time, to help others to update its code when using new libgda versions.

Ok, then I'll add them back to the introspection, and start using those macros for deprecated functions.

Regards,