Re: [gnome-db] Problem with sqlite provider in 4.0.1

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 09:44 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:

> 2009/4/16 Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus freebsd org>
>         On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 21:11 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
>         > On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 14:17 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>         > > I wonder how the libgda sqlite provider works on Linux.
>          On FreeBSD, we
>         > > are currently building it with the system sqlite3, but
>         this appears to
>         > > be broken.
>         >
>         > Don't do that. If there's some easy way to do that in the
>         libgda build
>         > system then it should be removed. It breaks things.
>

>         It detects our sqlite3 by default, and uses it.  There is no
>         easy way to
>         DISABLE it except to hack configure.
>
> The embedded SQLite  Libgda uses is patched a bit because SQLite does
> not by default allow one to get some meta data.
>
> Also, the configure script tries to find a system SQLite which may be
> correctly compiled (this was asked by distrib. packagers which don't
> like packages embedding other packages, mainly for security reasons).
> However using a system SQLite was never fully tested and one of the
> reasons it was not tested is that normally the configure script, even
> if it found a sqlite3 library would discard it as not suitable
> (because it needs an SQLite which is compiled with the
> SQLITE_ENABLE_COLUMN_METADATA flags and in which the sqlite3CreateFunc
> symbol is accessible, which is generally not the case). I wonder how
> you managed to compile SQLite so it exports the sqlite3CreateFunc
> symbol.

Our sqlite3 port is built with:

-DSQLITE_ENABLE_COLUMN_METADATA=1

This is optional, but enabled by default, so just about every FreeBSD
user has sqlite3 built this way.

> What I can do is make the necessary corrections in Libgda's code and
> release a 4.0.2 version (which will also have other bug corrections).

Thanks!

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome FreeBSD org