Re: [gnome-db] New Libgda V3.99.4

2008/9/19 Aleksander Morgado <aleksander es gnu org>
Hi all,
>     in your last version you removed gda_data_model_get_value_at_column().
>     It was an handy function to retrieve a value from a column name, which
>     is also mentioned here
>     http://library.gnome.org/devel/libgda-4.0/unstable/ch07s06.html#id2552536.
>
>     I cannot find a replacement for it, may you please indicate me what I
>     should use?
>

> I removed it because I don't want to encourage people using column names
> as they are not reliable (depends a lot on the database's native API): I
> prefer people to use column numbers. Also the replacement is fairly easy:
>
> gda_data_model_get_value_at (model, gda_data_model_get_column_index(model, "mycol"), row, &error);

That function could have been left in the API and marked as "deprecated"
or something.

The V4 version is supposed to break the API with previous versions and  as such there should not be any function marked as deprecated.

IMHO, I don't think that removing functions from the API in each new
release is a good approach, even if there is a good reason for that. It
will break lots of compilations out there.

I totally agree, and this will be the rule for future versions based on the V4 ABI.