[gnome-db] libgda-4.0 changes

The libgda-4.0 API reference is now online, and it contains information
about the changes between libgda-3.0 and libgda-4.0:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/libgda-4.0/unstable/migration-2.html

I have some comments from my initial tests:

1.
Creating and executing SQL statements was never easy but it is now even
more awkward than before because you must create a GdaSqlParser and use
it, and check for an error when doing that:

libgda-3.0:

  GdaCommand* command = gda_command_new("SELECT * FROM album",
    GDA_COMMAND_TYPE_SQL, GDA_COMMAND_OPTION_STOP_ON_ERRORS);
  GdaDataModel* model =
    gda_connection_execute_select_command(connection, command, NULL /*
params */, &error);

libgda-4.0:

  GdaSqlParser* parser = gda_connection_create_parser(connection);
  error = NULL;
  GdaStatement* statement = gda_sql_parser_parse_string(parser,
    "SELECT * FROM album",
    NULL /* remain */, &error);
  g_object_unref(parser);

  if(error)
  {
    printf("GError from gda_sql_parser_parse_string(): %s\n",
error->message);
    g_clear_error(&error);
    return EXIT_FAILURE;
  }

  GdaDataModel* model =
    gda_connection_statement_execute_select(connection, statement,
NULL /* params */, &error);

2.
The list of removed objects and functions needs information for eacho
one about what should be used now:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/libgda-4.0/unstable/ch07s05.html#id2561757

3.
The
GdaParameterList to GdaSet
and GdaParameter to GdaHolder
rename seems arbitary.

I guess that GdaSet should really be GdaValueSet or GdaValueList. Is it
used for anything other than executing statements?

GdaHolder is a particularly obscure name. If not GdaParameter then maybe
GdaNamedValue?

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com