Re: [gnome-db] Libgda 3.99.1 released

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 18:49 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:
>  > On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
>  > > On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 20:32 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:
>  > >  > >  > Thanks! This is the main goal of the V4 so I give it a lot of care.
>  > >  > >  > Once it is stabilized and judged clean enough, I would like to propose
>  > >  > >  > it for a Gnome module.
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  In what release set?
>  > >  >
>  > >  > It depends... If I can have something stable enough, then I may try to
>  > >  > propose it for 2.24 (before the 21st of April, see
>  > >  > http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointTwentythree). Otherwise it willl be for
>  > >  > 2.26...
>  > >
>  > >  I mean, do you want to propose it for Platform, Desktop, Platform
>  > >  Bindings (I guess not), Admin, or Developer Tools?
>  >
>  > I thougt about Platform since it's a library.
>
>  OK. However, there is not much chance of this happening until something
>  in one of the other release sets uses it.

At least then people willing to write an application which needs a DB
will have more chances of thinking about Libgda.

Anyway, I think a DB library is really something which is needed
alongside GTK+ (Qt has something even though it has less features).

>  Also, the Platform should almost never break ABI. Are you really sure
>  that this version of libgda will never need another iteration?

I certainly want it to be that way for V4; the API is noy yet
finalized, and there are some features I want to be able to integrate
in the future without needing to break the V4 API:
* 2 phases commit
* maybe (I'm not sure about that one) support for named transactions
which can be shared between connections (Oracle does it).