Re: [gnome-db] Indentured View in Grid?

2007/11/26, Vivien Malerba <vmalerba gmail com>:
> On Nov 24, 2007 6:40 PM, Andrew Rowland <weibullguy gmail com> wrote:
> > I really like the ease with which I can interact with my databases using
> > libgda/libgnomedb.  Great tool, thanks a lot for your work.  I have one
> > thing I've been trying to do with no success thus far.  I have data that
> > I would like to display in a hierarchical format such as below.  Is
> > there any way to create an indentured list using either the db grid
> > and/or the data store?
> >
> > EXAMPLE:
> >
> > Item 1
> >         Subitem 1a
> >         Subitem 1b
> >                 Subsubitem 1b1
> > Item 2
> >

> The short answer is it's not possible with Libgnomedb. Note however
> it's possible with GTK+ directly but then you'll have to write your
> own code.
>
> Also in the past Diego Zuccato proposed (2 years ago, see
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-db-list/2006-January/msg00030.html)
> to add that feature to Libgda but it was posponed because of the other
> tasks to do. Basically all would be required would be to modify the
> GdaDataModel interface to add support for hierachical rows, and modify
> the GnomeDbDataStore to handle that addition.
>
> Regards,

Maybe is not necesary to modify the DataModel interface but
GnomeDbGrid to manage queries for each showed row, for each resquest
to expand (using the arrow) a query could be called to fill the
related items.

This could be a GnomeDbGrid derived widget, with an API to attach the
queries to call.

Or attach callbacks to the arrow button in order to call a query, but
this must be hardcoded for the developer (get the DataStore and modify
to add the required nodes from the Database).

"de grano en grano, se hace la arena" (R) (entrámite, pero para los
cuates: LIBRE)