Re: [gnome-db] libgda performance issues

"Vivien Malerba" <vmalerba gmail com> wrote:

> I wrote 2 test programs based on the usage of that code, the
> difference I got was that libgda incurred a 100% slowdown (time to run
> was x2).

I mentioned 10x slower at the beginning cause the more resultsets ( GdaDataModel )
you have the more slower application is.  With MySQL libs the difference is not so huge.
With the same resultset I get the same slowdown.

> then I added G_GNUC_CONST to all the _get_type(void) functions to help
> gcc optimize the code (this lead to a 4% performances increase), and
> then I disabled the threading and got a real performances improvement,
> in the end the slowdown is now around 25% which is much better (of
> course it could be better...)

> The code will be in SVN tonight, and to disable threading you have to
> set the LIBGDA_NO_THREADS environment variable.

Cool! Thanks!

BTW,  from my tests:

gda_data_model_get_column_title : 7~8% of time
g_object_set_property about ~20% ( from my code example, so nothing to improve here )
GdaDataModel : ~40%

Piotras