Re: [gnome-db] Formatting numbers in Form/Grid

On 1/31/07, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 19:35 +0100, Vivien Malerba wrote:
[snip]
> So for your specific problem, I suggest you write a GnomeDbDataEntry
> and a GtkCellRenderer which display dates in the way you want. Also if
> you want and if the plugin you write could be usefull to others, we
> could include it into the libgnomedb's sources.

Couldn't we just extend the existing widgets? They must do some kind of
sprintf() at the moment, so we could just provide API to allow you to
specify a different sprintf format. Or maybe a cell_data_func callback.

I would prefer a more meaningful way to define formatting, which would
be used for interpretation too, but that can be added in a future
version. For instance, Glom has this simple data structure:
http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/glom/trunk/glom/libglom/data_structure/numeric_format.h?rev=845&view=markup

I suppose you could also modify one of the GnomeDbEntryDate for dates
(or GnomeDbEntryTime for time, ...) for example to add some format
specification, and then one could set that format as with any other
plugin (exactly in the same way). This could also be applied to the
GnomeDbEntryString (for numbers and strings).

As a matter of fact I was planning to add a way to specify a mask to
enter data (as for example like
http://gtkmaskedentry.sourceforge.net/), and other attributes such as
text max length; so if you can wait till next week (I probably won't
have the time to do it before), you'll have the framework in place to
add more format spec.

Cheers,