Re: [gnome-db] libgda documentation ambiguity

On 2/21/07, Mark Johnson <mrj001 shaw ca> wrote:
The documentation (gtk-doc) for gda_dict_set_connection states:
"Sets the associated connection to dict. This connection is then used
when the dictionary synchronises itself, and when manipulating data (the
gda_dict_get_handler() method)."

This is ambiguous.  I saw two possible meanings for the phrase
"synchronises itself":
1. The dictionary automatically updates itself without any special
effort by the programmer.
2. The dictionary provides a method for updating itself, which the
programmer must call.

Having looked at the source, I believe #1 is incorrect and that the
function which must be called is gda_dict_update_dbms_meta_data.  Is
this correct?

If so, I propose that the wording be changed to the following:
"Sets the associated connection to dict. This connection is then used
when the dictionary is synchronised (the
gda_dict_update_dbms_meta_data() method), and when manipulating data
(the gda_dict_get_handler() method)."

I'll modify the description as you propose, but please also note that
the connection is used when you call gda_query_execute() as a GdaQuery
is "attached" to a dictionary (I'll also add that in the doc).

Thanks,