Re: [gnome-db] Create Index using new ddl functionality.

On 9/3/06, Bas Driessen <bas driessen xobas com> wrote:

 Hi Vivien,

 Looking into the Create index situation at the moment. Also here we lost
some functionality with the previous implementation. I agree that the new
situation is is closer to the syntax of CREATE INDEX of the various
providers, but since there is no ALTER TABLE available (yet) through this
new ddl interface, there are some limitations introduced with this new
stuff.

There won't be a single ALTER TABLE operation, but rather several
small ones for each type of table alteration - there is already ALTER
TABLE ADD COLUMN, ALTER TABLE REMOVE COLUMN and ALTER TABLE RENAME TO.
Other ones will be added later.

 In the old situation we had 3 types of index:

 -1 Primary
 -2 Unique
 -3 'Normal'.

 In case 1 and 2, for most providers an ALTER TABLE statement was created
and only for the 3rd type a CREATE INDEX.

 In the current situation, we only have situation 3.

No, for example the Postgres provider's CREATE INDEX spec has a
INDEX_TYPE value  to specify the type of index. However that value is
not mandatory because some providers may support specifying the type
of an index (correct me if I'm wrong here...)

 I guess, the best situation would be to introduce an ALTER option next to
the existing CREATE and DROP that is already in place. Is this being worked
on at the moment? If not are there plans to introduce this? What is the
status of this?

Considering my comment above, I don't see why we would need this (but
again I might be wron here as I'm not a DB expert).

Thanks,