Re: [gnome-db] gda_connection_execute_command() result

On 10/21/06, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 16:07 +0200, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> You get as many items in the retunred GList as there are queries
> (separated by ";") in the command. For example it the command was made
> with "SELECT * FROM mytable; DELETE FROM mytable" then you'd get first
> a GdaDataModel for the 1st query and then a GdaParameterList for the
> 2nd. I'll update the documentation to make this clear.

Thanks.

Is there any good reason to support multiple queries separated by ;? Is
that for atomicity? If there's no good reason then this seems to be
complicating the API unnecessarily.

You can't know what a user will enter in a console for example, and
returning accurate information in case he/she enters several queries
is a necessity.

Usually people do know what's in a command and this is why it's better
to use the alternate functions I mentioned before; this API is simple
enough.

[snip]
> We can only return one list because the index in the list of a
> GdaDataModel or GdaParameterList corresponds to the query in the
> command at the same index.

That's also something worth mentioning explicitly in the documentation.

Definitely!

Cheers,