Re: [gnome-db] ANNOUNCE: libgda/libgnomedb 1.99.0 (AKA 2.0 Beta2)

On 10/18/06, Gustavo R. Montesino <grmontesino gmail com> wrote:
Em Qua, 2006-10-18 às 18:23 +0200, Vivien Malerba escreveu:

> The API should now not change anymore until the 2.0 (that is of course
> except if there is a problem with it such as name clashes,
> inconsistencies, etc). The next releases will be API and ABI
> compatible with the 2.0 which is why I want it as clean as possible.

Great. So, if anything change the soname will also be changed, right?
Also, is there any good reason to the soname to be libgda-3.so.3.0.0
instead of libgda-2.so.1.0.0?

AFAIK libgda-2.so is used for version 1.2 of libgda and many
incompatible changes have gone into libgda so it's now libgda-3.so.

BTW, It seems that there isn't any easy way to build the sqlite provider
dinamicaly, is that right? It's pretty bad for distributions, as having
the same code in various places put extra burden in the security people
if something comes up.

I know about that issue. The problem is that Libgda needs to go into
SQLite internals as SQLite does not export enough information
otherwise. I need to check with the additions of SQLite 3.8.8 if it is
still the problem, but for now SQLite is embedded.

Note that however it should be possible to build it dynamically as
it's just some header files which are needed when Libgda is compiled,
but then one has to make sure that the header file libgda used to
build the provider corresponds to the exact version of the SQLite
version it will dynamically use.

Cheers,