Re: [gnome-db] create/drop index for MySQL and more ...

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:02:10 +1000, Bas Driessen <bas driessen xobas com> wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  create/drop index methods for MySQL implemented. In MySQL, a name can not
> be assigned to a Primary Key. Therefore I had to introduce an additional
> parameter "primary_key", where the developer/user can indicate if he/she
> wants to drop a Primary Key in those situations.
>
>  Added a parameter GList *index_list to create_table method, so a table and
> (multi_column) indexes can be created with just a single call.
> Alternatively, index_list can be set to NULL and the user/developer can
> create indexes one by one using the create_index method.
>
>  Index settings  (like set_primary_key for instance) in
> GdaDataModelColumnAttributes are still honoured, so make sure if you set
> both these settings as attaching an index_list, that values do not overlap,
> like trying to create a primary key twice, one with either method. The
> return status in those situation will be FALSE.

Great job you've done there!

>  Please review/test etc and let me know any issues.

I don't have the time right now, but I surely use the new functions in
future versions of Mergeant!

>  All the new features I added the last couple of weeks, were the main new
> features I needed/wanted at this stage for my own projects. So I am ready
> (well probably need a day or 2 for testing if all is OK now) for a first
> developer release based on HEAD. What will be the trigger for this release?
> Can we start doing monthly cycles as discussed 1 or 2 weeks ago?

I've just started to commit to libgnomedb CVS HEAD all the changes
I've been working on to merge libmergeant into libgnomedb (it took
longer than I had expected). After that I think you're right about
having a developper release. Rodrigo?

>  Also, why is the gnome-db.org page not updated? The latest news item is
> from October last year and the latest 1.2 release is not even mentioned. No
> offense to whoever is responsible for it, but we look a bit like a "dead
> project" for new visitors.

I agree that it looks like gnome-db is a dead project from someone
visiting the web site. I think the problem is that the web site should
be generated from the contents of the CVS module, and that is not
working.

Also the new Gnome Office web site
(http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/) looks very nice, may be there
could be a way to use it from gnome-db as well?

Cheers,