Re: [gnome-db] end-user GUI database app?

On Apr 4, 2005 11:03 PM, John M. Gabriele <john_sips_tea yahoo com> wrote:
> Is there a nice simple GUI database app available for
> GNU/Linux? Something like Apple's AppleWorks? I'd like to
> simply make a customer list; save their addresses, contact
> info, and possibly a listing of jobs I've done for them.
> And then later be able to quickly search the list --
> possibly creating invoices from it as-needed.
>
> I guess I could just use a plain text file, and then hack
> something together with Python/Tkinter, but that might get
> unwieldy as the text file gets bigger and as I discover I
> need more functionality.

Mergeant is being developped with that kind of goal in mind. At the
moment you can manage the data in a database using nice GUI, but you
must set up a DBMS server and create the database structure by hand.

Otherwise you can use libgnomedb to build yourself a simple
application for your specific needs. There is an example for such a
small application in the examples/SampleApp directory of the
libgnomedb sources with explanations about the code in libgnomedb's
docs.

Cheers,