Re: [gnome-db] Re: understanding data sources

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:33:43 +0200, Iago Rubio <iago rubio hispalinux es> wrote:

> From my point of view, the data source being stored on disk or on memory
> is irrelevant.
>
> You can even ask your user, "Do you want to save this data source ?" and
> act according.

If I asked the user, I'd have to let the user know why I was asking to do such
thing. Is it so that the configuration can be retrieved on the next session.
Wouldn't a windows program use the windows registry here? I'm clueless
on this issue, and let me tell you, I read the docs, and they don't say
a thing about _WHY_ one would want to write to disk.

> GtkWidget* confirm;
> gint response;
>
> confirm =
>        gtk_message_dialog_new
>                (NULL,
>                GTK_DIALOG_MODAL,
>                GTK_MESSAGE_QUESTION,
>                GTK_BUTTONS_YES_NO,
>                "Should I ask you why I want to save this data source on disk? :O|");
>
> response = gtk_dialog_run( GTK_DIALOG(confirm));

> I hope this helps, but better wait for an authoritative answer.
>
> Remember I'm just starting to play with libgda :)

Me too, just found it very recently, but in any case, even though I don't
have to write that file and probably never will, I am still not satisfied as
to why ANYONE would want to write it.

It's just that the documentation really emphasises this file, which really
seems like a laughing matter to me given that other DB APIs don't require
it, and that the docs don't explain why it is required. Sorry if I am really
stuck up with this file. It just drives me nuts when the reason for
something is not given in the docs. That really makes me mad.
As it stands it just reminds me of when windows asks you to
reboot the system after an install when not necessary at all.
Why should a tutorial for beginners emphasize a useless
feature that uses the file system? It's a database API,
isn't it? Well, people, besides my bad temper in these
few days, which I hope you can forgive, I am sure that
there are lots of things I'm missing regarding this issue,
hence, I will appreciate very much anyone who can point
out my lack of understanding.

Best Regards,

Neil