[gnome-db] Re: GRAND MASTER PLAN

Linas Vepstas wrote:

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 01:28:58PM +1300, Dru was heard to remark:
I know what you mean. i stopped trying to populate c style structures from db's, sockets etc a while ago. I didn't like having to write new c structures for every table, and a couple supporting functions for mapping values in structure to values in db.

Yes, that is true; simple apps like bugzilla don't do any processing, they simply map db contents to web pages and back. These kinds of apps can be specified in a purely declarative fashion, and someday we may have a new declarative programming language to do this.

(That's what I tried to do with DWI/DUI: at its core, it really
is a new declarative programming language. Unfortunately, I embedded it in XML. Although XML is superficially declarative, its just plain not human-readable for the most part).

But some apps need to do proceedural things, and for these, one
needs to have access to a proceedural language, such as C or C++. (or perl or python or java or mono/c#) And for that, you want to have a DB layer that will map SQL tables to objects. (and be multi-user, distributed, yadda yadda).

--linas

You dont need to map to physical c objects. I just have tools for linking to other libraries which contain the methods to be used or link to the other way. You dont a full on C structure for it, i just access in a dataset object ie getvalue(obj,field,&variable);