Re: [gnome-db] Re: GRAND MASTER PLAN

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 10:03 -0600, Linas Vepstas wrote:

-- an object query system. libgda does not.
-- a uuid system. libgda does not.
-- an object persistance infrastructure. libgda does not.
-- a multi-user object caching and cache-coherence system. libgda does not.
-- a data-set partitioning system. libgda does not.

none of those were in the above 2-point list.

That thing that I am trying to explain is that if you actually
attempt to implement the functionality in the 2-point list, and try to use it in a distributed, multi-user application,
you would discover, sooner or later, that you need additional
functionality, above and beyond what libgda does today.  However,
after implementing all of these whiz-bang, multi-user, distributed
features, you would still have a 2-point sytem: something that
copies data between objects and other sources. We do not yet have this 2-point sytem.

the multi user aspects are usually very well covered by powerful RDBMS,
there's no need to implement all of that on the client side of things,
but just to get the client integrate in that multi user environment.

And if you need multi user environments for data sources that dont
implement, there are very "easy" solutions, some of which are planned
for future libgda releases, like doing a CORBA provider, or a SOAP
provider that allows access to data sources in remote machines.

Problems with mutli-user is the caches in datasets, middleware and what exists in the gui. and i really dont like corba or soap but thats just me.