Re: [gnome-db] GNOME-DB will replace the unixODBC-gui-GTK and How?

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 13:37 -0500, Daniel Espinosa wrote:
> I Try to configure an access to a data base usig ODBC,
> but the problem is:
>
> - If I try to use unixodbcinsc, it's not GUI based
> (not for normal users)
>
> - If I try to install unixODBC-gui-gtk (I think I need
> this to have access via OpenOffice using the GUI way,
> of course), but I can't install due problem in the
> version installed (I will update to unixODBC 2.2.9).
>
> But the rely question is:
>
> The GNOME-DB, data base properties program, will
> replace the unixODBC-gui-GTK; for example, some
> OpenOffice use the one to configure a new DSN using
> ODBC, but th gnome-db will replace this?

the ODBC provider in libgda depends on a working ODBC setup, so I guess
we can't replace it right now.

> If so, wy I can't have an interface like
> unixODBC-gui-gtk (It is easy to use), and to just a
> STRING paramenter (I can't find at the moment how to
> configure this parameter, but I will).

what we could do is to have our ODBC provider use the ODBC API for data
source configuration (IIRC, there is one), and so remove the need for
unixODBC-gui

--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>