Re: [gnome-db] Reports/Mergeant

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 22:56 +1200, Dru wrote:

> The other thing i was looking at, or going to look at was a gnome app to
> run reports.
> This doesn't have to talk to just papyrus but alternative reporting
> engines also.

let's start with only one better :-)

>   And this could be a part of mergeant and some of my own
> apps. I was thinking of an application where you can either choose a
> list of re-defined reports or open a file which is a report. The
> application will correctly prompt for the arguments for the report and
> generate it in a method that is desierable for the user.  Bonobo could
> also be useful so it can be tied into any of our apps.
> Is anyone interested in developing this or colaberating on developing
> this?  (Trying to suggest i dont want to develop this by myself as i got
> a number of other things to work on currently.)

I think the best for this is to provide a widget or viewer (maybe in
libgnomedb?) that is easily usable in other apps. Then, mergeant can use
it, as well as any other app specific for reporting.

As a first step, as talked in another thread, I'd really like to see the
current libgda's report API and papyrus be merged in a nice API. This is
the first starting point, I think. How difficult do you think that is?