Re: [gnome-db] Connection strings

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 11:56 +0200, Soeren wrote:
> Is it correct that connection strings depend on the provider
> I use?

yes

> gda_client_open_connection has "dsn" argument, does this only
> work with odbc based providers? I am only familiar with db
> access in windows so I have no idea if an odbc layer even exist
> for linux?

the DSN is the name of the GDA data source you created. Use
gnome-database-properties to create it, it will ask you for the correct
arguments for the connection string depending on the provider you
select.

> Are gda providers just a wrapper on drivers developed in other
> projects?

no, they are drivers for accessing different RDBMS, or libraries (like
ODBC)

> gda_client_open_connection_from_string has "provider_id" and
> "cnc_string". Where do I find the list of provider ids?

the providers IDs can be looked at programatically, via
gda_config_get_provider_list. Or look at them in the
gnome-database-properties application (part of libgnomedb)

>  again
> how would I go about finding the format of a cnc_string connection
> string?

this is entirely dependent on the provider you choose, so again, either
do it programatically (gda_config_get_provider_list, which gets a list
of GdaProviderInfo structs).

cheers