Re: [gnome-db] Minor API change and MySQL [update/delete]_row

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 04:47, Paisa Seeluangsawat wrote:
> > > These functions are used only by providers.  Separating these from
> > > functions that end users use can help cut libgda learning curve,
> > > reduce the chance users mess up the system, and tidy up the
> > > documentation.
> > >
> > well, they are used by anything that might change a data model, so they
> > have to stay in the main .h file.
>
> If anything changes a datamodel...
>
>   - through gda_data_model_*(), it doesn't have to (and shouldn't)
>     emit "row-inserted" signals, set command text/row number/id,
>     etc.,.  That's the provider's job.
>
>   - not through gda_data_model*(), that 'anything' is a provider.

any data model implementation will need to use those functions. Data
models are not only for providers. They can be created, if wanted, byan
application using libgda. So these functions, as they are part of the
data model API, they have to be there.

> These functions are still public to end users, I just hope they are in
> a separate header files (and doc sections) so end users who don't use
> them (most of them) don't have to care about these functions.

they dont have to care. Each class has a set of public methods, all of
them are in the header file. Users can use the ones they want, they are
not forced to use them. But still, since other users might need them,
they need to be easily accessible.