Re: [gnome-db] New project

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 01:41, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 19:02, C.J. Collier wrote:
> > Is there a GUI DocBook editor, or are you using vi/emacs?
> >
> I don't use any GUI docbook editor, I use emacs, so can't tell you.

Good deal.  Then I'll continue using emacs to edit them, too.  I just
didn't want to modify "generated" XML in a way that it wasn't used to
being modified.

> > > as long as the data model is not destroyed, the data is in memory. Or
> > > are you talking about keeping it in a cache, regardless of whether the
> > > data model has been destroyed or not?
> >
> > I don't know enough about the data model or libgda to answer this
> > question intelligently.
> >
> a data model is a recordset, that is, a set of rows as returned from the
> database.

Are these recordsets available to applications that did not make the
request?

I was thinking about passing the DSN and the request object in the
Drag'n'Drop message.  Would this be enough to get the recordset from
libgda?

Would the request need to be re-executed by each client to get the
recordset associated with a recently made request? (not necessarily made
by this particular client)

Does libgda present results in a way that multiple clients can access
the result without each client having to execute the request themselves?

When the data on disk that the data model models is invalidated (or
updated), can libgda inform any clients that are viewing the recordset
that an update has been made and that they should do something about it?

I know so little about databases.  Perhaps I should read the code before
I continue to ask questions like these.  But perhaps these should be
added to a FAQ for those who don't read code.  Unless they're not asked
frequently ;)

> > What does the data model look like?  Is it just a DSN?  I would assume
> > all the real data is stored/managed by libgda, and that you can access
> > these data through a DSN/table/row URI.  Is this true?
> >
> you execute a command and you get a data model, which, as I said, is a
> class that represents a set of rows as returned from the database.

Thank you.  I think I'm beginning to grasp this.

> > Alrighty.  I'll jump into it.  Can you tell me a good starting point?
> > Otherwise, I think I'll start alpha-numericly ;)
> >
> have a look at client.c in testing/. That implements the database access
> part of the test program. Then, you've got models.c, which shows how to
> use the data models.

I will.  Thank you

> cheers

Cheers,

C.J.

P.S.
CC'ing my friend Mike, who might be interested in this discussion.