Re: [gnome-db] New project

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 04:36, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > How'd you get the docbook documentation in the first place?
> >
> writing it directly in DocBook format, in doc/C/mergeant.sgml.

Is there a GUI DocBook editor, or are you using vi/emacs?

> > I thought that might be a way to go about it.  Does libgda cache the
> > data in memory?
> >
> as long as the data model is not destroyed, the data is in memory. Or
> are you talking about keeping it in a cache, regardless of whether the
> data model has been destroyed or not?

I don't know enough about the data model or libgda to answer this
question intelligently.

> > It'd be more efficient than making queries to the data
> > source from each application.  I wouldn't want wait 2ms for each request
> > I make from my 3d apps, especially if I'm doing rotation and streching
> > and realtime stuff like that.  Perhaps shared memory is a good way to go
> > about this?  I don't know much about this stuff...
> >
> hmm, passing all the data model via drag & drop might be quicker, or
> slower, not sure. You could pass it in XML format, or just pass a
> reference in the form of a Bonobo moniker, to be activated from the app
> where the data is dropped. Then, in the dragged app, you can just return
> the data model when asked for the moniker.

What does the data model look like?  Is it just a DSN?  I would assume
all the real data is stored/managed by libgda, and that you can access
these data through a DSN/table/row URI.  Is this true?

Maybe I should learn Bonobo.  There sure are a lot of things to know :)

> > Can you tell me where to start if I want to learn the libgda api and see
> > some simple, practical examples?
> >
> well, to learn the API, look at the sources themselves, they're the best
> "documentation". As a simple example, we've got gda-test, in
> libgda/testing. It's not that simple, since it's an API test program,
> but might give you a good vision of how the API is used.

Alrighty.  I'll jump into it.  Can you tell me a good starting point?
Otherwise, I think I'll start alpha-numericly ;)

> > Hear hear.  Would building a provider for CSV would be a good start,
> > then?  It may teach me a bit about data mangling and providing a clean
> > API.
> >
> yes, it might be a good start. It's planned indeed, so if you want to
> work on it, go ahead. Only one thing to have in mind is having a
> libgda-generic provider, as was suggested, that implements all the
> common stuff, only leaving the file I/O part to the real provider.

Alrighty.  I'll learn the source and then go about writing a CSV
provider.  this may take a while.  If someone else who wants the project
comes along, don't tell them they can't do it just because I've already
started.  I'll keep you all informed of my progress.

> > Right-o.  Anything I should read first?
> >
> the source code :-) Also, German (CC'ed) can give you some help on the
> LDAP provider, since he wrote it.

Howdy, German.  I'm sure we'll talk quite a bit.

> cheers

Cheers,

C.J.