Re: [gnome-db] Oracle Provider and How to Contribute

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 00:50, Steve Fosdick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently discovered mergeant and it's supporting libraries and so far
> I'm impressed.  I am keen to get it working with Oracle, the database we
> use at work, partly because it is so much better than SQL*Worksheet -
> faster as well as having extra functionailty.

> So, I've got a couple of bug reports logged against the oracle gda
> provider and have started to do some initial work to track down the one
> that is concerned with describing tables.

yes, the problem is that I haven't been able to have an oracle
installation for a long time now, and apart from Tim's initial work on
the GNOME 2 port of the oracle provider, nobody has really been
maintainting the oracle provider. That's why it is a bit out of date,
although it basically works.

So, any work you put on it would be really appreciated.

> My next question then is what is the best way to contribute without
> stepping on anyone else's toes?

the best thing is to say what you intend to work on here on this list,
so that other developers know about it. For the oracle provider, as I
said, you won't step on anyone else's toes, since nobody is maintaining
it.