Re: [gnome-db] What's the advantage of Gda Reports?

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 21:44, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> > > I'd rather learn XSL FO rather than Gda Reports formatting, as FO is a
> > > standard.
> > > We can get the query results as XML and format them with XSL FO rather
> > > than Gda.
> > >
> > well, that's the idea, what do you mean by "rather than GDA"?
> So we have the query results as XML from gnomedb. We can either format
> them with a gda report or with XSL, right?

we are going to format them with XSLT in libgda itself.

> I looked at valid-example.xml in libgda testing, seems to do the same as
> XSL, but with a different API (simpler, but less powerful).
> I believe it's better for me to learn XSL FO rather than GDA api for
> reports, as I could use it in other projects. Also, you said nobody
> seems to use Gda Reports yet.

nobody uses them because they are not finished. If you see things
missing, we would love to hear what those things are, so that we can fix
them.

> > > The only disadvantage is that there's no integrated Gnome solutions to
> > > make PDF out of FO, will have to use FOP for that.
> > >
> > well, we would add it then, we might need to add support for printing to
> > PDF in gnome-print. That should make it I guess.
> it could generate PDF out of a FO file or GDA report?

I'm not sure of the details, we should ask gnome-print people, but then,
that's the idea, yes.

You would print the report to a PDF virtual printer, which would
generate the PDF document from the report.