Re: [gnome-db] What's the advantage of Gda Reports?

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 22:18, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> So, the advantage is that gda reports offer a simple API to create/run
> reports, without having to deal directly with XSL.
I see.

> > I'd rather learn XSL FO rather than Gda Reports formatting, as FO is a
> > standard.
> > We can get the query results as XML and format them with XSL FO rather
> > than Gda.
> >
> well, that's the idea, what do you mean by "rather than GDA"?
So we have the query results as XML from gnomedb. We can either format
them with a gda report or with XSL, right?

I looked at valid-example.xml in libgda testing, seems to do the same as
XSL, but with a different API (simpler, but less powerful).
I believe it's better for me to learn XSL FO rather than GDA api for
reports, as I could use it in other projects. Also, you said nobody
seems to use Gda Reports yet.

> > The only disadvantage is that there's no integrated Gnome solutions to
> > make PDF out of FO, will have to use FOP for that.
> >
> well, we would add it then, we might need to add support for printing to
> PDF in gnome-print. That should make it I guess.
it could generate PDF out of a FO file or GDA report?

--
Marius Andreiana
Galuna - Solutii Linux in Romania