Re: [gnome-db] What's the advantage of Gda Reports?

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 11:33, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> What's the advantage of using Gda Reports instead of XSL Formatting
> Objects?

well, gda reports is intended to use XSLT to transform the resulting XML
into other formats, it's just not implemented yet.

So, the advantage is that gda reports offer a simple API to create/run
reports, without having to deal directly with XSL.

> I'd rather learn XSL FO rather than Gda Reports formatting, as FO is a
> standard.
> We can get the query results as XML and format them with XSL FO rather
> than Gda.

well, that's the idea, what do you mean by "rather than GDA"?

> The only disadvantage is that there's no integrated Gnome solutions to
> make PDF out of FO, will have to use FOP for that.

well, we would add it then, we might need to add support for printing to
PDF in gnome-print. That should make it I guess.