Re: [gnome-db] An introduction of myself and a topic about C# Bindings for libGDA

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 12:55, Danny deSousa wrote:>
> > > I have spent the last 2 weeks learning LibGDA and the
> > > other peripheral components that make up the GnomeDB package, I have
> > > noticed that a C# binding to LibGDA would go a long way to making
> > > implementation of the ODBC.Net Provider, as well as other providers,
> > > alot easier. A search of the mailing list archives identified that such
> > > a discussion did occur, however, those discussions occured in May of
> > > 2002. So you might be able to guess what my next question could be. Is
> > > that effort still ongoing or has it been dropped for some reason? If it
> > > is ongoing then too whom do I speak to and how can I help?
> > >
> > you mean doing the C# bindings or doing the ODBC.Net based on those
> > bindings? If you mean the C# bindings, they are already available, in
> > the GTK# project, along with libgnomedb bindings also.
> I mean the ODBC.Net provider based on those bindings. So the layering
> would look something like this:
>
> System.Data.Odbc->C# Bindings->LibGDA->Odbc

yes, that makes sense, although I didn't do it that way because
System.Data.OleDb was on a standard assembly, whereas GDA# are in GTK#,
which is outside of the so-called standard assemblies.
If there were any way to make use of the GDA# without depending on some
of the GTK# things (GLib), it would make a lot of sense.

> > About doing the ODBC.Net provider based on GDA#, well, it might be a
> > good idea, although I think it would be much easier to just have
> > System.Data.Odbc be a wrapper around System.Data.OleDb, which already
> > does use libgda (although directly, not via the C# bindings).
> Interesting prospect. This makes having a direct C# binding to GDA
> irrelevant, since it does already exist in System.Data.OleDb, and since
> both ODBC and OLE DB are based on the relational model changes to one or
> the other will have minimal impact. This will certainly make
> implementing the ODBC.Net provider an order of magnitude easier. I think
> that I will pursue this, thanks.

yes, it will be much much easier, and given that the System.Data.OleDb
is already implementing the correct classes and in C#, in most cases it
will be just a matter of doing a wrapper, which as you say, is a lot
much easier.