Re: [gnome-db] An introduction of myself and a topic about C# Bindings for libGDA

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 04:31, Danny deSousa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to introduce myself to the team here. My name is Danny deSousa
> and I will hopefully be able to help this team achieve its objections
> for the Mono project. I'm a volunteer just donating a whole bunch of
> time to helping GnomeDB and Mono projects, simply because I like this
> software development and open source stuff alot. I have 5 years of
> experience developing data access, such as Odbc and some Ole Db, I have
> alot of experience writing Sql processors and client/server software.

welcome to the team!

> Open Source is an enormous divergence in development models from the
> norm and I like it....:-) So enough about me and onto some serious
> stuff.
>

> I have talked to Rodrigo about starting the effort on the ODBC.Net
> provider and he has eagerly given me the green light to start, and so I
> am assuming that I am the only one working on that. Correct me if that
> is not the case.

AFAIK, that's the case, so go on.

> I have spent the last 2 weeks learning LibGDA and the
> other peripheral components that make up the GnomeDB package, I have
> noticed that a C# binding to LibGDA would go a long way to making
> implementation of the ODBC.Net Provider, as well as other providers,
> alot easier. A search of the mailing list archives identified that such
> a discussion did occur, however, those discussions occured in May of
> 2002. So you might be able to guess what my next question could be. Is
> that effort still ongoing or has it been dropped for some reason? If it
> is ongoing then too whom do I speak to and how can I help?

you mean doing the C# bindings or doing the ODBC.Net based on those
bindings? If you mean the C# bindings, they are already available, in
the GTK# project, along with libgnomedb bindings also.

About doing the ODBC.Net provider based on GDA#, well, it might be a
good idea, although I think it would be much easier to just have
System.Data.ODBC be a wrapper around System.Data.OleDb, which already
does use libgda (although directly, not via the C# bindings).

is that what you meant?