Re: [gnome-db] Can't set default provider. Is it a bug?

* marted́ 29 ottobre 2002, alle 02:24, Gonzalo Paniagua Javier scrive:
> * [ Antonio G. - Geotronix <antonio sunstone it>
> * Tue, 29 Oct 2002 02:12:05 +0100 ]
> > What else can I control to see why I can't connect to the database?
>
> First, ensure that /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf allows you to connect.
> Something like:
> host all YOUR_IP_HERE YOUR_NETWORK_HERE trust
>
> will allow you to connect without password. Change trust by crypt to use
> passwords.
>
> If after restarting it does not work, you can modify
> /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf setting this values:
>
> debug_level = 1
> debug_print_query = on
> log_connections = on
> log_pid = on
> log_timestamp = on
> syslog = 2
> tcpip_socket = 1
>
> Before setting others, try tcpip_socket = 1 and restart the server. If
> not, add the other values, restart the server and look in
> /var/log/postgres.log (may be also logged to other files depending on
> the facility used. You can set it with syslog_facility = NAME).
>
> That should give you some hints about what's happening.

Hi.

I did all you told me to do for getting debug info from postgres,
however every time I loggin a DB with psql nothing is logged into the
/var/log/postgres.log. Even when I try connetcting with Mergeant nothing
is logged. The only logging info in that file are a few lines regarding
'/etc/init.d/postgres restart' command:

FindExec: found "/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postgres" using argv[0]
FindExec: found "/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster" using argv[0]

This is the only logged info I get.
In the /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf file I have:

local        all                                           ident
sameuser
host         all         127.0.0.1     255.0.0.0           ident
sameuser
host         all         0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0             reject
host         all         192.168.0.3   255.255.255.0       trust

In the /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf I have set:

debug_level = 1
debug_print_query = on
log_connections = on
log_pid = on
log_timestamp = on
syslog = 2
# if syslog is 0, turn silent_mode off!
silent_mode = off
syslog_facility = LOCAL0
trace_notify = off
max_connections = 64
# shared_buffers must be at least twice max_connections, and not less
# than 16
shared_buffers = 128
# TCP/IP access is allowed by default, but the default access given in
# pg_hba.conf will permit it only from localhost, not other machines.
tcpip_socket = 1

The versions of software I have installed on my debian woody are:

postgresql     7.2.1-2woody2
mergeant       0.8.193-1

Do you have any other suggestions.

Thankyou for your support and greetings.