Re: [gnome-db] Name proposal/contest for gnome-db/gASQL

>>>that would be great! The website is on the gnome-db-web CVS module, and
>>>the docs are in $module/doc/C, for libgda, libgnomedb and gnome-db.
>>As soon as GNOME2 is released I intend to update my "Data Access with
>>Linux" (ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/dbaccess.pdf) presentation to the
>>latest GNOME-DB/GDA/GASL/EGNIMA release.  Mostly that is end-user oriented
>>documentation (how to install, create a data source, use the tools,
>>etc...) and not so much API or developer documentation.
>well, that's a need we've got, since API docs are being updated almost
>every day, so what we really miss is a good user guide. So that would be
>great.

Glad to help.

>>I'd jump on it now but I use my GNOME desktop about 10 hours a day and I
>>really *need* GNOME to "just work" (which at 1.4.x it does).
>2.0 works for me perfectly also. Although, yes, I had some problems
>installing (broken dependencies, etc), but, once installed, it works
>really sweet.

I did try once,  but ended up with a desktop with no fonts/text
whatsoever. :(  Fortunately red-carpet pulled it out and put 1.4 back
without to much trouble.  Spent a couple of days grousing about in mail
archives, etc... found a couple of people who'd encountered the same
problem, but no solutions.

>>On another topic, is anyone working on the LDAP provider?
>yes, German, a friend of mine, said he was going to have a look at it.
>And, so far, he seems to be doing it.

Great, that would be fabulous to have working.

>>Also curious if anyone has given any thought to adding GDA support to Open
>>Office (it already support ODBC and JDBC)?
>hmm, haven't thought about it,  but yes, also a nice idea. Although the
>OO code, last time I looked into it, seems a bit too big to be
>understood easily :-) But, yes, it's a very nice idea.

Yep, the OO code is way beyond my narrow programming skills.  Just
wanted to float the idea.  The database functionality of OO is very
robust.

>>I mentioned once a while back about creating an XML-RPC binding to GDA,
>>and I still intend to look into that.  But I figured I'd wait until GNOME2
>>and all had settled down as it looks like GNOME2 has some SOAP/XML-RPC
>>stuff 'built in'.
>no, it's not built-in, but it's available, also for GNOME 1.x. That is
>soup, which you can find in the GNOME CVS.

I'll look into that.