Re: [gnome-db] Name proposal/contest for gnome-db/gASQL

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 16:41, Adam Williams wrote:
> >>Rodrigo> no, you are right. The only problem is that we need somebody to write
> >>Rodrigo> the docs and keep them updated along with the website.
> >>i could help with the website and possible with the docs too
> >>i have had a bit of experince with websites mostly programming for them
> >>(i am part of the XEmacs web team to name the one most known)
> >that would be great! The website is on the gnome-db-web CVS module, and
> >the docs are in $module/doc/C, for libgda, libgnomedb and gnome-db.
>
> As soon as GNOME2 is released I intend to update my "Data Access with
> Linux" (ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/dbaccess.pdf) presentation to the
> latest GNOME-DB/GDA/GASL/EGNIMA release.  Mostly that is end-user oriented
> documentation (how to install, create a data source, use the tools,
> etc...) and not so much API or developer documentation.

well, that's a need we've got, since API docs are being updated almost
every day, so what we really miss is a good user guide. So that would be
great.

> I'd jump on it now but I use my GNOME desktop about 10 hours a day and I
> really *need* GNOME to "just work" (which at 1.4.x it does).

2.0 works for me perfectly also. Although, yes, I had some problems
installing (broken dependencies, etc), but, once installed, it works
really sweet.

> On another topic, is anyone working on the LDAP provider?

yes, German, a friend of mine, said he was going to have a look at it.
And, so far, he seems to be doing it.

> Also curious if anyone has given any thought to adding GDA support to Open
> Office (it already support ODBC and JDBC)?

hmm, haven't thought about it,  but yes, also a nice idea. Although the
OO code, last time I looked into it, seems a bit too big to be
understood easily :-) But, yes, it's a very nice idea.

> I mentioned once a while back about creating an XML-RPC binding to GDA,
> and I still intend to look into that.  But I figured I'd wait until GNOME2
> and all had settled down as it looks like GNOME2 has some SOAP/XML-RPC
> stuff 'built in'.

no, it's not built-in, but it's available, also for GNOME 1.x. That is
soup, which you can find in the GNOME CVS.