RE: [gnome-db] Name proposal/contest for gnome-db/gASQL

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 23:06, Fernando Martins wrote:

> I know too little about CVS, so forgive me if this is wrong, but if egnima
> is the name chosen to merge gnome-db and gASQL, would it not be more logical
> to leave the modules libgda, libgnomedb, gnomedbfe and gASQL as they are and
> put egnima as a virtual module to CVS?

hmm, I don't know what would be better. Anyone has any comments?

> This virtual module would then became real with time, i.e., would get parts
> of the existing modules, get new parts or simply call existing modules, when
> the project integration becomes more than just the sum of the parts.

that sounds like a cool idea. The only thing is that we'll lose some CVS
history.

> Eventually, gnome-db and gASQL names would disappear depending on their
> evolution. For instance, the notebook of gASQL would go to egnima and
> relationships, table designer, query designer, form integrator/designer,
> report desiger (?), scripting code engine (?)) would get their own modules.
> The SQL editor should be properly integrated with the query designer,...

SQL editor is a widget on its own, now in libgnomedb. And for the other
things, if they're generic, we should have them in libgda/libgnomedb.
Other things that are not generic should be in egnima, I suppose.

> It seems to me that is also missing (at least in public written form) a
> vision and goals/features/planning for the project.

yes, we need more docs, as always :-) Anyone wants to start?

> For instance, to the best of my understanding of both projects, I've seen
> gnome-db more has a DBMS front-end, with the goal of making the DBMS easily
> accessible and manageable. OTH, gASQL's goal is to ease the development of
> database oriented apps (front-ends using DBMSes as back-ends). Correct me if
> I'm wrong.

gnome-db and gASQL were having similar goals in some parts, that's the
reason of the merge, to not have 2 things doing more or less the same,
but just one app doing everything.

> Both the browser from gnome-db and gASQL appear similar (because there is a
> common point visible which is the DBMS) but still they are different (have
> different goals). Both concepts (DBMS management and app development) are
> useful. But it appears to me that the integration should clarify how to best
> put them together.
>
> Or am I completely out of context?

no, you are right. The only problem is that we need somebody to write
the docs and keep them updated along with the website.